Cleghorn Family Tree

Richard James MonkAge: 87 years18291916

Richard James Monk
Given names
Richard James
Birth March 15, 1829 52 38
Christening March 15, 1829

Death of a paternal grandmotherElizabeth Smith
January 3, 1830 (Age 9 months)
Note: 30th December 1829:
Christening of a brotherGeorge Monk
April 10, 1831 (Age 2 years)
Burial of a brotherGeorge Monk
January 16, 1845 (Age 15 years)
Death of a maternal grandmotherMary Vines
November 30, 1845 (Age 16 years)
Death of a fatherWilliam Monk
October 30, 1851 (Age 22 years)
Burial of a fatherWilliam Monk
November 4, 1851 (Age 22 years)
Cemetery: Minchinhampton Churchyard
Note: Buried in Minchinhampton Churchyard beside his parents graves
MarriageMargaret Letitia ThomsonView this family
October 30, 1855 (Age 26 years)
Address: St Peters Church
Note: Copy of Register of Marriage.
Birth of a daughter
Louisa Margaret Monk
January 18, 1857 (Age 27 years)
Birth of a daughter
Elizabeth “Emily Jane” Monk
February 27, 1858 (Age 28 years)
Criminal Conviction - Common Assault
August 12, 1858 (Age 29 years)
Christening of a daughterElizabeth “Emily Jane” Monk
about December 1858 (Age 29 years)
Note: Although her registered birth name was Elizabeth, she was christened Emily Jane
Birth of a son
George Herbert Monk
October 23, 1861 (Age 32 years)
Occupation between 1861 and 1863 (Age 31 years)

Note: Richard was Postmaster and runholder at Kekerengu between about 1861 and 1863, possibly keeping an Accommodation House there, before becoming Accommodation House keeper and blackmith at Boat Harbour, Amuri Bluff
Birth of a daughter
Caroline Elizabeth Monk
January 23, 1864 (Age 34 years)
Birth of a son
William Alfred “Bill” Monk
March 1, 1866 (Age 36 years)
Address: Bell Wood
Birth of a son
Richard Henry Monk
February 22, 1869 (Age 39 years)
Birth of a son
Thomas Nott Monk
May 27, 1871 (Age 42 years)
Marriage of a childAndrew William RutherfordElizabeth “Emily Jane” MonkView this family
November 3, 1873 (Age 44 years)
Birth of a son
Francis James Monk
May 1, 1874 (Age 45 years)
Death of a brotherWilliam Edward Monk
June 1875 (Age 46 years)
Birth of a son
John Andrew Monk
June 10, 1876 (Age 47 years)
Birth of a son
Berther Charles Monk
July 28, 1878 (Age 49 years)

Marriage of a childJames TateCaroline Elizabeth MonkView this family
June 22, 1881 (Age 52 years)

Birth of a son
Charles Septimus Monk
July 25, 1881 (Age 52 years)

Birth of a daughter
Mary Ellen Agnes Monk
August 15, 1883 (Age 54 years)

Adjudication in Bankruptcy
June 27, 1884 (Age 55 years)
Marriage of a childGeorge Herbert MonkMargaret Teresa ConnorView this family
March 11, 1885 (Age 55 years)
Marriage of a childWilliam Alfred “Bill” MonkSusan LucasView this family
May 30, 1892 (Age 63 years)
Address: The Manse, Waiau
Note: Church, Building or Office where marriage to be solemnised : The Manse, Waiau
Death of a half-sisterCaroline Monk
March 3, 1897 (Age 67 years)
Address: Thornycroft House, College St
Marriage of a childRichard Henry MonkAnnie DermottView this family
December 25, 1897 (Age 68 years)

Death of a sonBerther Charles Monk
August 22, 1902 (Age 73 years)
Note: Wellington, June 28.1902
Marriage of a childFrancis James MonkJane Elsie HamiltonView this family
April 20, 1904 (Age 75 years)
Address: Church of St Peter
Death of a half-sisterElizabeth Monk
December 6, 1906 (Age 77 years)
Burial of a half-sisterElizabeth Monk
December 8, 1906 (Age 77 years)
Cemetery: Barbadoes Street Cmetery
Religion: Protestant
Marriage of a childJohn Andrew MonkMargaret Elizabeth May LunnView this family
August 7, 1907 (Age 78 years)

Reminiscences March 4, 1914 (Age 84 years)

Death October 2, 1916 (Age 87 years)
October 5, 1916 (3 days after death)

Address: Kaikoura Public Cemetery
Family with parents - View this family
Marriage: November 1, 1825Rowington, Warwickshire, England
14 months
elder brother
3 years
2 years
younger brother
George Monk
Christening: April 10, 1831 54 40Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England
Burial: January 16, 1845Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England
Father’s family with Hester Mills - View this family
Marriage: April 5, 1804Bislley, Gloucestershire, England
4 years
Elizabeth Monk
Birth: December 1807 30 31Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England
Death: October 23, 1808
22 months
Ann Monk
Christening: October 8, 1809 32 33Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England
Death: about August 1825Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England
3 years
Caroline Monk
Christening: July 19, 1812 35 36Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England
Death: March 3, 1897Wellington, New Zealand
3 years
Family with Margaret Letitia Thomson - View this family
Marriage: October 30, 1855Wellington, New Zealand
15 months
13 months
4 years
2 years
2 years
3 years
2 years
3 years
2 years
2 years
3 years
2 years


Copy of Register of Marriage.

Richard Monk of Wellington, Bachelor and Margaret Thomson of Wellington Spinster were married in this church of St. Peter by Licence with consent of her Guardian.This thirty first day of October in the year 1855. By Samuel Poole m.a.

This marriage was solemnised between us In the presence of Richard Monk Edw. Haslam Margaret Thomson Harriet Haslam X her mark ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________I I certify that the above is a true copy of the entry in the Register Book of Marriages kept at St. Peters Church Wellington


Richard was Postmaster and runholder at Kekerengu between about 1861 and 1863, possibly keeping an Accommodation House there, before becoming Accommodation House keeper and blackmith at Boat Harbour, Amuri Bluff


New Zealand In The Fifties Between the range of hills which fringes the coast towards Kaikoura and the sea there is a strip of level country, sometimes a mile or two wide, sometimes broken into sections by a long spur reaching right to the beach. On either side of theConway River at its mouth there is a stretch of good level land, and on the southern side of the river there is a small settlement mentioned in few maps but known in official productions such as the Telephone Directory & Post Office Guide asConway Flat. To reach the settlement the visitor must go to the terminus of the main trunk line, Parnassus, and then proceed by coach to the Fingerpost, which overlooks the last ford of the Conway River. There he alights, and by buggy proceedsdown the riverbed a mile or two, fording the river many times, and at last reaches the group of houses that comprise the settlement. When the river is in flood the visitor waits, days probably, until it goes down, for there is no entrance toConway Flat, if one excepts a sheep track or two over the ranges, except by way of the river. For nearly half a century Mr Richard Monk has lived at Conway Flat and although 85 years of age he has no doubt at all that he will live there for many years to come - after a career full of incident and adventure the old pioneer is bold andhearty. His hair and beard are quite white, and a heavy stick is requisitioned when he walks - life in the early days was conducive to rheumatism - but his eye is bright and keen, and he takes a great interest in many things. Recently aLyttleton Times reporter visited Mr Monk at his home and, sitting on his verandah, the patriarch of the settlement recounted many of his experiences.

Boyhood Days I was born in Minchinhampton Gloucester, " Mr Monk said. "My father was a farrier, who at one time held the appointment of farrier to King George III at Hampton Court, He was a strange man, and thought more of having his sign painted afreshevery year than he did of anything else, even his family. I left school when 12 years of age, and one of my first jobs was to take three horses to a fair at a town nearby. I started off in the early morning and on the way I saw a sight I shallnever forget. Many a time I've laughed about it. The rector had a finishing school for young gentlemen, and my word they were proper rascals. That morning, as I passed along, I saw that they had got a bull tied to a tree in a paddock. The farmerhad deliberately put the bull there to prevent people going through his fields. Well, they had this bull tied to a tree. Some of the boys were up the tree, but two of them were on the ground. Then, like a flash the two disappeared, the bull waslet go and I saw what was up. They had tied a live cat to the bull's tail. That bull went through three live hedges and disappeared, pussy hanging on firmly, and later on he was found dead. When the culprits found out I knew what had happenedthey kept me well supplied with pocket money. "An effort to make me a baker failed badly, chiefly owing to an over-fondness for pastry, I think, so I was apprenticed to a butcher. I might have got along alright but one day I heard the boss threatening to deal violently with me when he gotme, and so, without any hesitation I set out to walk to London, 104 miles away. My cash amounted to 2s 10d, and I was then 15 years of age."

The Navy In 1844 "When I got to London Town I kept asking for the Queen's Head, Tower Hill, for I had heard that it was a sort of recruiting place for the Navy. Here I met a quartermaster, a big burly fellow, and asked him how I should go about getting into theNavy. He said that boys only got about 12s 6d or 12s 9d a month, but added that as I was a big chap, I could safely tell the captain that I was nineteen years old. Then he took me upstairs to the captain. He was sitting at a round table, and onit I remember was some blue paper, some red tape and a decanter of rum. The old man was a link to the very distant past and he had a terrible gruff voice. "What do you want?" he growled, and I said, "To go in a man-o'-war sir." "Some young,runaway apprentice or other," he snapped out, and I owned up that he was right. Well, I passed the doctor, who had a room downstairs, and the captain ordered the quartermaster to take me to the receiving ship, Perseus, lying in the Thames offthe Tower. When I got to the hotel I only had 2d. I spent that on something to eat, thus joining the Navy absolutely penniless. I didn't like the look of things aboard the Perseus at all, and as for the hammocks, I couldn't get into them until afellow showed me how. The rations were none too good. We got 1lb of biscuits and a pint of cocoa for breakfast; a pint of soup, 1lb of meat, a few vegetables and 1/2 pint of grog for dinner, with a pannikin of tea, and some grog and whatbiscuits we had saved from breakfast for tea. Then we went to Sheerness to the hulk Minataur to wait until the Vanguard had fitted out of Plymouth."

An Early Steam Squadron "All the vessels of the line were sailers in those days and the real wooden walls of old England right enough. I boarded the Vanguard at Plymouth in 1844, and the next year we cruised in the Bay of Biscay. There were eight steamships when westarted, seven paddle boats and one screw. I think it was the first steam squadron in the Navy. Anyhow it was an experiment. The names of the paddle boats were the Terrible, Retribution, Siden, Odean, Bulldog, Gladiator and Polyphemus, and therewas the Battler, a barque rigged screw driven ship. After an 8 week cruise the Battler was the only one of the lot with us, the others having developed engine troubles and put into the nearest ports. "For the most of my time I served in the Mediterranean. They were rough days. Nearly every week, men were flogged and on one occasion that I know of a man was hung from the yardarm. Part of the outfit of our ship would make sailors laughnowadays. All round the orlop deck below the water line were hung shot plugs. These were made of wood, and when the boat went into action the carpenters had to walk round and round, so that if a shot came through they could grab a plug, cover itwith oakum and grease, and drive it into the hole with a maul." A Whaling Cruise "Early in 1849 I was paid off and in the same year I shipped aboard the whaler Norwhal for a cruise in the south seas. She was a wooden barque of about 400 tons and was commanded by Captain Baker. We carried six guns for our protection. Early in1850 we arrived in the Bay of Islands. There must have been 18 or 20 whalers in at the time. I remember going aboard the American ship, Swift, hailing from New Bedford, and the John Franklin, which was a full ship. We had 760 barrels of oil. Inthose days Kororareka consisted of two hotels, two stores, and a few shanties. The 65th Regiment was camped somewhere in the neighbourhood, if I remember right, and there were thousands of Maoris. "I left the Norwhal at the Bay and shipped in a 10 ton hooker trading along the coast as far north as Awanui, near the North Cape, and six weeks later I landed in Auckland. It was only a small place. On the right hand side going up Queen Streetthere was a large ditch and you had to walk across a plank to get into the stores."

Work In The NZ Bush "Well after working in Auckland for a while I went to work in the bush at a place called Muddy Creek, down the Manuka. They put me to driving bullocks and although I knew nothing about it, I had to go. I've always been mightily glad thosebullocks were quiet ones. I boarded with a sawyer and his family in a slab hut. The bush was all Kauri, and some of the trees were grand, 60ft and 70ft without a branch. We hadn't been there long when the Maoris came down and stopped alloperations. By good luck our hut was just off the land they claimed. The leader was dressed in proper clothes but the 40 or 50 men with him were not. They asked all sorts of questions and my mate's wife was terribly frightened. I said, "Slingthe bully and give them a feed". We had plenty of wild pork, damper and taters, and the tucker soon made them our good friends. The palings we used to cut were used to make boxes to ship potatoes in to California. In the days of the gold rushover there, NZ used to send over potatoes. Well, the darned Maoris had stopped the work, so my mate with his wife and family and myself put what we owned in a boat we had built and set out for Onehunga. There I shipped on the barque Victory forWellington, getting £12 for the trip. My mate did the same, getting £8. We sold our boat and left the money to keep my mate's wife and two children."

Early Wellington "It must have been about 1853 when I first landed in Wellington. It was a queer place and at certain spots you couldn't find room for two carts to pass between the stoves and the small embankment that ran down on to the beach. Where Lampton Quaynow is, there was a sort of Maori pa. I soon got among the horses and for a while looked after a mare called Kate McCarthy owned by Brigade Major O'Connell who afterwards owned the Mount Grey run in North Canterbury."

The Victoria Goldfields "After I had been in Wellington for some time the gold rush to Victoria caught me and away I went. The first hole I sunk was the best, and four of us got 9 lb 10 oz in the first 17 days. Then we heard of the rich finds of the Ovens and off wewent. At the first camp, Gum Creek, who should come up but Hargreaves, the discoverer of gold in New South Wales, and strongly advised us to go back. We were working in the Long Gully, Bendigo, when news of the discovery at Mount Karong came inand I was sent away to investigate. It was a bad 'un and I set out on the home journey. There were thousands of men on the road, all bound for Mount Karong. As far as the eye could see there was a long thin line of horses, carts, men withwheelbarrows, men with swags, all after the gold. They called it Mount Gowrong afterwards. I had ups and downs. Got assaulted, and robbed of horse and cart and cash, and endured other hardships common on the goldfields in those days."

Back To New Zealand "Good old New Zealand called and I went to Melbourne to see about a passage. Captain Rowe of the barque Tory wanted men and I got a passage. We went to Twofold Bay in New South Wales and then inland to Bombala, buying horses and stock. I bought18 draught mares and a thoroughbred filly, but on the trip to Lyttleton all but two died. I refused £75 for the draught mare on board the boat because I wanted £100, and then when landing the animal in the punt at Gollans Bay she broke her back.I sold the filly for £75. It was a bad deal for me"

Early Days In The South Island "Next year I will celebrate my diamond wedding. Despite the fact that she has brought up a family of 12, my good wife is as young as ever. We were married in Wellington in 1855. Three years later I set out for the Collingwood diggings, but didno good, and so moved on to Nelson. A firm had just taken a contract to build a wharf there for the government and with four mates I went to a place near the French pass for the purpose of getting piles. I think we got 3d a foot for birch piles.Once we got started it was dead easy. Some of the trees were great up to 70 and 80 feet, and we toppled 'em down into the water very quickly. They were shipped to Nelson in the brig Dart and some were that long that they had to be slung on theoutside of the vessel. Then Saxton Brothers of Richmond appointed me manager of Tarndale Station, but our departure for the station was delayed by the arrival of Mr Saxton senior, and then it was too late to get through. I cancelled theagreement, and next day with a mate named Ted Edwards packed my swag, 64lbs, and set off for Blenheim. It was rough going, only a bridle track through the bush. Few houses and clearings in those days, I can tell you. The first day we reachedWilson's accommodation house, and the next day got to Blenheim. There was really no town, when in the middle of the supposed town I asked a man where it was. At the Awatere we found Ben Moorhouse. He had brought 4000 ewes to take through toCanterbury, and we helped dip the lot. Then on by way of Starborough and Flaxbourne to Kekerangu, where I got a permanent position. "All sorts of jobs fell to a man's lot in those times. I remember once taking a horse through from Kekerangu to Nelson, where it was sent home for the use of Sir George Clifford, who was then at college at Stonyhurst. My family lived on thatstation for 6 years, and many a time I drove sheep through to the Canterbury border. On the north side of the Hurunui the sheep were always inspected by Provisional Government inspectors on account of the scab, and if passed they were drivenacross the river into Canterbury. The broad arrow used to be stamped upon them to show that they were all right. I remember once riding to Picton, 75 miles away, in one day to post important letters for England. I got there just in time to handthem to the purser or whatever he was. Next day I rode most of the way home. For 5 years I lived at Boat Harbour, just south of the Amuri Bluff, and then settled in Conway Flat."

"Looking back, its all been good. We had jolly times, plenty of 'em, good mates, healthy work, happy homes. Of my family, only one is dead and he died in South Africa during the war. That's his photograph on the wall in there. Now I've told youa lot, haven't I, about the good old days? "What I liked then I like now - that's a good horse. Now, let us go around to the back and I'll show you a grey horse that I bred - a real good 'un, even now. Come along!"