Cleghorn Family Tree

Martha WykesAge: 69 years18141884

Name
Martha Wykes
Given names
Martha
Surname
Wykes
Birth July 15, 1814 38 40
Christening October 9, 1814 (Age 2 months)
Death of a motherHannah Bettel
about July 1824 (Age 9 years)
Burial of a motherHannah Bettel
July 16, 1824 (Age 10 years)
Cemetery: St Mary the Virgin Church
Marriage of a parentWilliam WykesFrances NichollsView this family
June 9, 1829 (Age 14 years)
Note: Both widowed at time of marriage
MarriageJohn Bedwell KingView this family
May 13, 1834 (Age 19 years)
Note: Witnesses: Thomas Main, Rebecca Manning
Birth of a daughter
#1
Hannah Rebecca Frances “Frances” King
November 22, 1834 (Age 20 years)
Baptism of a daughterHannah Rebecca Frances “Frances” King
January 25, 1835 (Age 20 years)
Religion: Church of England
Birth of a daughter
#2
Mary Jane Saunders “Jane” King
December 23, 1837 (Age 23 years)
Birth of a daughter
#3
Sarah Anne King
December 12, 1839 (Age 25 years)
Birth of a son
#4
Charles George King
February 27, 1841 (Age 26 years)
Death of a husbandJohn Bedwell King
January 31, 1843 (Age 28 years)
Cause: Inflammation in the Bowels
Burial of a husbandJohn Bedwell King
February 5, 1843 (Age 28 years)


Death of a sisterSusannah Wykes
1844 (Age 29 years) Age: 16 years & 6 months
Burial of a sisterSusannah Wykes
January 31, 1844 (Age 29 years)
Address: Little Brington, Northamptonshire, England
Cemetery: St Mary the Virgin Church
Death of a fatherWilliam Wykes
May 15, 1845 (Age 30 years)
Burial of a fatherWilliam Wykes
May 22, 1845 (Age 30 years)
Cemetery: St Mary the Virgin Church
Emigration September 4, 1850 (Age 36 years)
Immigration December 27, 1850 (Age 36 years)
Occupation
Refreshment Rooms
March 1, 1851 (Age 36 years)
Address: Section no.4, Esplanade

Occupation
Refreshment Rooms
March 8, 1851 (Age 36 years)
Address: Section no.4, Esplanade
Employer: Self
Occupation
Refreshment Rooms
April 17, 1852 (Age 37 years)
Address: Section no.4, Esplanade

Marriage of a childEdward Merson TemplerMary Jane Saunders “Jane” KingView this family
July 15, 1852 (Age 38 years)
Note: Jane had to get her mother Martha Kings permission to marry as she was underaged.
Occupation
Refreshment Rooms
September 17, 1853 (Age 39 years)
Address: Norwich Quay
Note: Newspaper article mentions "Mrs. King's Commercial Dining Rooms, Norwich Quay"
Marriage of a childJohn Scott CaverhillHannah Rebecca Frances “Frances” KingView this family
February 27, 1855 (Age 40 years)
Marriage of a childWalter George ShrimptonSarah Anne KingView this family
February 5, 1857 (Age 42 years)
Address: temporary church in the Lyttelton barracks
Auction
Auction of household furniture and effects.
September 8, 1865 (Age 51 years)
Marriage of a childCharles George KingAgnes CurleView this family
June 29, 1867 (Age 52 years)
Marriage of a childRobert AherneSarah Anne KingView this family
1871 (Age 56 years)

Death of a sisterSarah Wykes
about March 1872 (Age 57 years)
Burial of a sisterSarah Wykes
March 1, 1872 (Age 57 years)
Cemetery: St Andrews Church
Death of a brotherJohn Wykes
about June 1875 (Age 60 years) Age: 68
Address: Little Brington
Burial of a brotherJohn Wykes
June 5, 1875 (Age 60 years)
Address: Little Brington, Northamptonshire, England
Cemetery: St Mary the Virgin Church
Death April 29, 1884 (Age 69 years)
Obituary April 30, 1884 (1 day after death)
Burial May 1, 1884 (2 days after death)
Cemetery: Plot Number: BA1122, Balcairn Cemetery
Life Story 2006 (121 years after death)

Note: Martha King (nee Wykes) was born in 1815. Her father’s occupation was the Keeper of an Estate.
Family with parents - View this family
father
mother
Marriage: about 1800
7 years
elder brother
1 month
elder sister
6 years
elder sister
Susannah Wykes
Christening: February 12, 1813 37 39St Mary the Virgin Church, Brington, Northamptonshire, England
Death: 1844Little Brington, Northamptonshire, England
-2 years
elder brother
3 years
elder sister
Elizabeth Wykes
Christening: February 12, 1813 37 39St Mary the Virgin Church, Brington, Northamptonshire, England
17 months
herself
Father’s family with Frances Nicholls - View this family
father
step-mother
Marriage: June 9, 1829Brington, Northamptonshire, England
Family with John Bedwell King - View this family
husband
herself
Marriage: May 13, 1834St Mary the Virgin Church, Brington, Northamptonshire, England
6 months
daughter
3 years
daughter
2 years
daughter
15 months
son

Marriage

Witnesses: Thomas Main, Rebecca Manning Register Number: 120

Occupation

Newspaper article mentions "Mrs. King's Commercial Dining Rooms, Norwich Quay"

Life Story

Martha King (nee Wykes) was born in 1815. Her father’s occupation was the Keeper of an Estate.

In 1834 Martha, at the age of 19 years, married John Bedwell King at Harleston in Northamptonshire in England.

By 1850 Martha King was a widow with four children: Frances 16, Jane 13, Sara 11, and Charles 9.

Early in September 1850, Martha King and her four children assembled at Gravesend with 782 other immigrants prior to boarding the Canterbury Association’s four ships that were to take them to start a new life in Canterbury, New Zealand.The King family boarded the Cressy a boat of 720 tons under the command of captain Bell. Of the 215 passengers that boarded the Cressy, 50 of them were fare-paying passengers, 27 were accommodated in the Head Cabin. Mrs King and her children were in the Fore Cabin which accommodated 23 passengers. The passengers traveling in the Head and Fore cabins were required to supply their own bedding and table ware.

The Steerage class accommodation was filled with 165 immigrants who were either being assisted or had a free passage to Canterbury.

The Cressy sailed on September 17, 1850 from Gravesend on the lower river Thames for a non-stop voyage to Lyttelton. Stewart Island was sighted on December 23 and the Cressey dropped anchor in Lyttelton on December 27,1850 after a 110-day voyage.Within a short time after landing in Lyttelton, Mrs King’s daughters were working in their mother’s boarding house, which was sited on Town section No.4. It would appear that Mrs King was a woman of some means to have traveled as a fare-paying passenger and been able to have a building erected shortly after arriving in Lyttelton.

Mrs King’s eldest daughter, Frances, married John Scott Caverhill at Lyttelton on February 27, 1855. John and Frances made their home at Motunau before moving to live at Hawkswood in 1859. Frances Caverhills' brother Charles (Charley) King lived and worked at Motunau before going to live at Hawkswood where he became the Caverhills' resident manager. In 1867 Charley King married Agnes Curle, her father was the head shepherd at Hawkswood.

In 1872, after Caverhill purchased High-Field at Waiau, Charley King drove cattle from Hawkswood over to High-Field.

By the 1870s Charley and Agnes King were living in the stone house called "Harleston" which is on the main road just south of Leithfield. It was there that their son William Henry (Harry) King was born in 1876.

In the late 1890s, Harry King was working on the land at Conway Flat and it was here that he met and married Mary Ellen Agnes Monk. They were married at Richard and Margaret Monk’s home in 1901 when Ellen was 18. They lived the rest of their lives at Conway Flat where they raised a family of six daughters and five sons.

Martha King died 29 April 1884 aged 69 years. She is buried at the Balcairn Cemetery along with her son Charles George King and his wife Agnes (nee Curle)

Sailing to a new land - Canterbury, New Zealand

Seven years after John's death, in September 1850, the widowed Martha King and her four children aged between 9 and 14 assembled at Gravesend with 782 other immigrants prior to boarding the Canterbury Association’s four ships that were to take them to a new life in far away Canterbury, New Zealand. The King family had booked their passage aboard the 'Cressy', a barque of 720 tons under the command of Captain Joseph Denison Bell.
Of the 215 passengers that boarded the 'Cressy', 50 of them were fare-paying passengers, of which 27 were accommodated in the Head Cabin, costing £42 for a berth. Mrs King and her children were in the Fore Cabin which accommodated 23 passengers, paying £25 for a berth. Those passengers travelling in the Head and Fore cabins were also required to supply their own bedding and table ware. Meanwhile, steerage class accommodation cost £15 for a berth and was filled with 165 migrants who were either being assisted or were given a free passage to Canterbury by the Association or their employer.

The Cressy and the other three vessels were hauled out of London's East India Docks on Saturday 31 August 1850 before sailing along the Thames to Gravesend where the excited passengers waited to board. On Monday the labouring class emigrants were treated to a leave-taking dinner at Wade's Hotel in Gravesend, which was hosted by Lord Lyttelton, after whom their destination had been named.

Immigrants gather at Gravesend waiting to board
Immigrants gather at Gravesend waiting to board

The four ships sailed from Gravesend at half-past-six on Wednesday morning and arrived at Plymouth nearly together on Friday night.
Several more emigrants joined their ships at Plymouth and on the evening of Saturday 7 September 1850 -
"by seven o'clock the Charlotte Jane was under weigh. The Randolph followed at nine, and the Cressy a little later. The Sir George Seymour, waiting for the last dispatches, which were to be brought by Mr. Britton, sailed at ten o'clock on Sunday morning."

Stewart Island, lying 30 kilometres south of New Zealand's South Island, was sighted on December 23, and the Cressey dropped anchor at Lyttelton on December 27 1850 after a 111-day voyage from Plymouth.


The "Cressy" at anchor, Port Lyttelton, 27 December 1850 


It appears that Mrs King was not an idle lady, as just 10 weeks after landing, Mrs King’s daughters were working in their mother’s boarding house, which was situated on Town section No.4. Mrs King was a woman of some means to have travelled as a fare-paying passenger and also be able to have a building erected so shortly after arriving in Lyttelton.
Refreshment Rooms Open
Refreshment Rooms Open
(Note - The Esplanade was the 'High Street' of Lyttelton and faced the sea. Now called Norwich Quay)